Avians

Here's a place to talk about each of the races - which is better, what changes you'd like to see, and just general commentary on each.
Lairian

Avians

Post by Lairian »

Is it just me, or is Avian lore...lacking? At best.

Within it, we see a reference to a god mentioned in no other lore anywhere in the mud, who makes salt, of all things, when bored. We get the impression that he likes randomly sharing bodily fluids with animals that pass by, and that his blood reacts extremely violently with an unknown acid. Oh, and that by taking acid creatures caught in explosions become very fertile, even with those that have no similarities as far as genetics are concerned. Also, giant bloody explosions and drinking extremely potent (judging by this reaction) acids does not harm any sort of creature.

We see no reference, as is in all other backgrounds, to Mota or Thanos, or of the war that shaped so many of the "modern" races. Also, whereas all other races evolve from fairly common stock, avians just kinda ignore that whole biology thing and breed with whatever's handy, confident that their phenotype will live on...seemingly justifyably.

Now, I don't neccessarily mean to tear up old people's work but...don't avians deserve a real history? I'd be perfectly happy to come up with something that follows general guidelines of our established common lore.
--Lairian
xorex

Post by xorex »

Yes, I do. I suggested this one time. Maybe you should try writing something up and submitting it.
--Xorex
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

If you like. An imm who is no longer with the mud wrote it many, many years ago.
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Help AVIAN AVIANS

After his failed attack on the bastion of Mota, Thanos withdrew a while from the Realms left barren and blasted by the scale of the struggle, handing control of the elves over to his ogre pets. Upon his seething throne of chaos, he reflected upon the battle. With time, he came to blame the elves for his loss; they were fragile, and, as the druid's had proved, far too easily stopped by anti-magic. With that, he began to work on his new instruments of destruction.
He wanted durability, strength, and pride, something new that had never before been seen. From that thought, he birthed a new race. Wrapped in magic, they would be born as humans, and as they killed, and spread the destruction he loved so much, they would be rewarded with more and more power. Wings to cleave the skys and make anywhere at all their doman, claws to tear at fragile bodies, beaks so that even a bite was deadly, and eventually the chaos within his own heart held within their frenzied eyes, so that none dare disobay their orders. The avians were born, Thanos' new fighting elite.

Avian's prime requisite is CON, as Thanos has vowed to never again rely on fragile mortals, taking only those that will not fall; in practice, this also helps them as his blessings remove the ability to wear many kinds of armor. Very little can match the damage output of an avian, but remember that all that stands between your foe's blade is your large pool of hit points.

---

Decent enough?
--Lairian
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

So the theory that human's perverted minds combined with boredom produced the avians will be gone? *sniffs* And I was also enjoying teasing humans that they're sexual hormones tend to like birds. *sniffs*
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

The only problem I have with it is that it makes all avians seem as though they are puppets of an evil god. I suggest finishing the story with some kind of avian rebellion against Thanos which freed them from his rule.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

:twisted: or most of them :evil:
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Is it so bad to have one race that's predisposed to evil? Anyway, as you wish.

"Soon after they began to show within the field, the balance of the war begain to noticably shift to Thanos' favor. In a herculian effort, the Prime Heirophant of the druids was able to cleanse the grip of Thanos from one of the avian prisoners that had taken by the legendary psion Skythys. After the spell was made, the whole company of druids together cast it over the next major battlefield. Free and confused, the avains scattered to the winds of the Realms. Many chose a life of solitude, relying on their own strength. Others, attempting to atone for their actions, have devoted themselves to other more peaceful gods, or even Mota herself, while others still reveled in the power and carnage of Thanos, and fight for him still."
--Lairian
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

We do have a race that is evil...

Demons.

:P

Now, how about a few angels to balance out the universe? *needs halo emoticon*
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I thought Devi is enough to balance the universe?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

*tips toes over to stars...and hanks his halo and runs*

Leaves ransom note it reads:

you want your halo back! find and get me my cookie! It was red and looked like Elmo!
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Hey, I'm still rooting for angels, even bothered to write (with dive's help) a summary version of how they could work. I'm fairly sure I posted about them (and a possibility for dragons) at some point, but that may have been before the forums got wiped...
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

i'll dig it up and post it, i still have it on my geocities site that i never visit. :)
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Dragons should become more or less powerful as they accumulate / use gold in the bank.

*nod self*
--Lairian
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

*nod* I was going to link to it, DB, but it didn't like me trying that, apparently (got 404's etc.)
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)